by SommServices Wine Academy
PRE-ORDER: Courses start in March 2023
A beginner-level wine course suitable for those starting a wine career or pursuing an interest in wine, taught by our education division, SommServices Wine Academy – an Approved Programme Provider by the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET).
For individuals new to wine study, this qualification provides a hands-on introduction to the world of wine. You’ll explore the main types and styles of wine through sight, smell, and taste, while also gaining the basic skills to describe wines accurately, and make food and wine pairings.
These are taught live via Zoom, and places are restricted on each session to 20 so you have plenty of chances to ask your questions.
Includes ten wine samples so you can taste along.
- Wine Tasting:Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT)
- Food and Wine Matching: A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Types and Styles of Wine: Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling Main black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines: Pinot Grigio, Muscadet, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes, Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Wines Tasted: Ten tasting samples of wines will be provided
- Study Materials: The WSET Level 1 Award in Wine Study Guide
- Duration of course: 2 x evening sessions or one day, including online examination
- Examination: 30 multiple-choice questions in 45 minutes
- Pass mark: 70%
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate and a lapel pin.
Entry requirements: You must be aged at least 18 years to participate in this course.
This qualification is regulated by Ofqual. Course Specification...
Courses start in March 2023
All of our tastings include:
- 6 x 100ml wine samples
- A follow-along, online wine tasting hosted by award-winning sommelier Jamie Smith and Winemaker / Engineer Alex Taylor.
Our tastings are streamed on Youtube and a link will be provided with your tasting pack.
All of our tasting packs are shipped via Royal Mail 'tracked 48' 2-4 days before the live tasting.
Your tracking reference will be emailed to you when your pack has been shipped.
Packs for 'On Demand' tastings are shipped within 2-3days of ordering unless stated otherwise.